05 April 2006

Super Freaking Great.

So, we've been getting rain. Our total up here is now about 55" (35" is about normal for us). That's a lot of freaking rain. I've been staying at my brother & sister-in-law's since Monday (only two nights, not bad). Came home late tonight, happily knowing I'd be in my own bed.

Some facts you need to know: I live on the second floor. The windows in my hall face the mountainside. There is only air between the windows and the dirt/rock of the hill. Meaning, there are no trees back there.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but those look like leaves. "But ... [pause] ... I don't have a tree back there."

Well, dude, there's a bloody tree there now!

Super.

Just bloody super.

Here's the downstairs: Wet carpet (mud must be about 4-5' deep behind the house in order for water to get in back there), and mud crashed through the back door (that leads to the back of the house, where septic is) into our garage / laundry room.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

Again, not much more to say than Super. Just bloody super. See, we've always had to worry about the water coming up from the front (the river flooding), not the mud, rocks, and trees coming down from behind. Okay, not entirely true. We've had to worry about falling trees (200' Ponderosa Pines). They make a very distinctive sound when they crack that you never forget. And the pause before the thud when it hits ground, and the shake of the ground. Very interesting and unwelcome. Anyway, don't know how much damage that will have to be replaced because of the mud. The carpet may have to be replaced. It'll at least have to be pulled up to dry, while a torpedo heater does its magic. We don't know the damage of the sheetrock. It's cinder block wall on the other side of the sheetrock for 4-5' high along the whole backside of the house.

Needless to say, I haven't gotten any further on my knitting... Still ready to tie in the second ball to start the decreasing on my hat. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll do that. I should be home relatively early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, Kalah! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that!

Still, very glad the enormous freaky pine trees aren't falling down and smooshing you. That would not be allowed.

Also, I am a dork because I was looking at the photos going 'La la la oh they have 70s-hued carpet in that laundry room! Oh no it's heaps of mud now I feel bad.'